New Goals

This new Monday just happens to be Labor Day! While I am taking full advantage of the long weekend to relax and rejuvenate, that doesn&#...



This new Monday just happens to be Labor Day! While I am taking full advantage of the long weekend to relax and rejuvenate, that doesn't mean I'm not thinking about the week ahead! I am in a great spot planning wise (up to about the 22nd YAY) but I have new goals to fulfill being the #goaldigger I am! This week I am having my students practice some critical thinking skills by completing a "What is History" Graphic Organizer. (See Materials: What is History) I'm interested to get a baseline on their mindset, perspectives and critical thinking skills.We are also going to complete a Citizenship Test with my new shower board white boards (Teacher Hack! Check out the Insta for this amazing deal).  The top two students who answer the most correctly, will win an extra 5 points on any assignment. Those who lose (More than 10 wrong) are deported! I watched this done in another class and the students had a great time! We were all shocked at how little they knew, and how many students would not get their citizenship! Quite honestly, it's heart breaking that a majority of my students do not know such simple necessary facts - such as - we broke away from England. ONE student in my class answered that Kahoot correctly. Others said Italy, France, or Poland. I know social studies is getting a backseat with Common Core but seriously? We have our work cut out for us!
We are jumping into the Revolution with the intolerable Acts as a review. I am psyched for this project we are doing. The students will create posters for a specific act they are assigned and will have to persuade the class to support their boycott. While watching presentations, students will take notes on a graphic organizer.  Then, students will be given individual journal prompts as to whether or not they would revolt against England. I'm super into this as the first real assignment because it serves a content review while I can assess cooperative learning, presentation skills, critical thinking, and writing ability right from the beginning. Plus, students are learning from their peers' presentations rather than a boring lecture and quiz.
For warm ups this week, I am going to have students "Goal Write Ahead!" As part of their "Hey, What's Up, Hello" first day activity, students had to identify a goal they have for the school year. While taking attendance, and passing out materials, students will write down 2 steps they can take to reach their goal.  This will literally take 2 minutes but, it's an excellent way to keep the class occupied, and interested.  It's something they want, and stress free. Every few weeks these will be warm ups and we will have various check-ins where they can assess whether or not they are realistically working towards their goals. But isn't your job to teach history? Give them a history prompt! We will have history prompts but in the grand scheme of things and this thing called life, I want my students to go out into the world and feel ready to conquer. I want them to set goals, identify the steps they need to take, and accomplish them. I want them to know their mindset is key and that the world truly is theirs for the taking, whether or not they can identify the most basic facts of American history!

What are some of your goals for the week!?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images