Fashion On A Budget: Part I

Out with the old and in with the new! A few months ago I stumbled upon the app  Poshmark,  and my life was forever changed...


Out with the old and in with the new!




A few months ago I stumbled upon the app Poshmark, and my life was forever changed.  Poshmark is an app that allows you to sell/buy clothes, accessories, and jewelry so easily! I never messed with eBay because it seemed too complicated. The shipping is paid for by the buyer and Poshmark emails you a packing label. All you do is box it up, tape it on and ship it out! Poshamrk takes a small percentage on items under $15.00 ($2.95) and on items over $15.00 the percentage varies according to the amount. I didn't start out with that many items and I still made over $200.00 the first month! The more active you are on the app (like with instagram) the more your closet will be exposed. When you follow other women and share their items, they share yours in return.




Then I came across Mercari where you can sell literally anything. The same concept, except exposure isn’t really based on activity, and they don’t take a percentage.  So the price you list is the amount you’ll get! There is an option for shipping payment by either the seller or buyer.  When you pay for shipping calculate that in the listing price to make sure you’re getting what you think is reasonable.  Paying for shipping means FREE SHIPPING for the buyer. And as we all know, whenever you see free shipping, it’s basically Christmas. 





On both sites you can redeem your balance as direct deposit into your bank account or in the form of a check. I have done both, however in my opinion, direct deposit is the way to go. It's safe and much faster! The money does take some time, as the transaction has to be completed for the money to be released (incase of mishaps, customer sends the item back, etc.) You could also use the balance for purchasing on the site. 


So why am I rambling on about these apps? Well, not only can you make money with little effort you can shop too! There are so many listings and dressing professional can be costly! Purchasing second hand clothing at consignment shops can be super time consuming. Where is the best store? Do they have the clothes you’re looking for? Will they have a lot of options that fit your taste? The possibilities are ENDLESS on these apps. From Dior, to Gucci, to Louie, to J.Crew, to Anthropologie, to Forever 21. High end, low end, some gently worn and some never worn, there will be definitely be a few things you can use to add to your teaching wardrobe! The app allows for comments to ask the seller questions about the item and you are allotted 3 days to accept the item. Doesn’t fit? Don’t like it? Just send it back. No biggie!


I rarely purchase from these sites because for me, this little side gig is a way to clear out my closet and earn extra cash.  (And if I start browsing it will be dangerous). I allow myself 20 minutes a day to be active on Poshmark and check out Mercari. Whether its while eating breakfast or waiting in an office, every little bit counts.  When I send out items I do so in a timely manner, or I notify the buyer if I'm away or can't get to the post office ASAP. I package my items in cute tissue and include a handwritten note.  I'm all about branding yourself and my brand has become "From My Closet To Yours."  When you add personal touches and excellent customer service you will not only get a good rating, but customers will come back for more.  They can trust you, trust your item descriptions (ALWAYS BE HONEST!) and appreciate the time you put into the transaction. This is how i look at it - Items that have sat in my basement collecting dust could not only earn me a lash fill, but allow someone to have a stupid expensive J.Crew cardigan for only $10.00. Everyone wins.


Check out my closet! AMorgan4283 on both sites! 


Amanda














You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I just read this and remembered I haven't updated my postmark account in a while. Boom! Took five minutes to update and already sold something! Thanks for reminding me :)

    ReplyDelete

Flickr Images