Teacher Style: Express Yo'self!

Heads up: grab a snack, this may take awhile! The first week of school is always exciting and nerve wracking. Welcoming new faces and ...

Heads up: grab a snack, this may take awhile!



The first week of school is always exciting and nerve wracking. Welcoming new faces and old, setting the ground rules and establishing your expectations. You're refreshed, recharged and ready... but is your wardrobe?  I love clothes and playing around with looks. I don't label my fashion sense because everyday is different. Sometimes it's sugar sometimes it's spice but it's always nice! Dressing professionally is DJ Khaled major key.  You can most defintely dress professionally and still express your own unique style in a tasteful manner!

Let's take a short trip down memory lane shall we? As a student I wore uniforms and teachers wore their Sunday best.  Did it make us any smarter? No. Did it make the teachers better at their jobs? Maybe. As a student having a dress code, I learned the importance of looking neat and tidy. When you were wearing that tie or that skirt it was time for business. I associated my uniform with school so much, that I would not change until after all of my homework was finished. Nerd alert! I've heard the whole "but you can't express yourself thing" and that's just completely false in my opinion. There are ways to do so with a uniform, plus since when are looks everything and the only way to express yourself? (It's not what you look like, when you're doin' what you're doin'! Tell me at least someone got it please) Moving on, everyone was on the same playing field. Brands, labels, quality...it didn't matter. You wore the same thing as the next guy. Anyway, I digress.  My point is that association of dressing well and working started in Kindergarten.

Fast forward 20 years and here we are. Don't get me wrong, in college I have had my fair share of rolling out of bed dressed in sweats for that 8 am. But I like to think by that point I had my stuff together enough where I could afford the comfort and still excel.  Teaching is a whole other story. You are the figure of authority in the room. You want your students to take you seriously. You want your students to acknowledge the fact that you are indeed a professional. You are not their buddy from 3rd period, you worked your butt off to be Mr./Ms. So and So! Looks are not everything as Charlie and I stated before, however that first impression sets the stage. If the teacher looks a mess, students, especially high school students, read that immediately. If a teacher cannot present themselves and express themselves professionally will they conduct their job professionally? If the teacher's wardrobe looks messy and unorganized, chances are their work may also be messy and unorganized too. It doesn't always have to be Sunday best, definitely not "just rolled out of bed," but it will set the notion that "this one means business!" You take your job seriously and your students should take your class seriously! 

As a student teacher who is an avid gym - goer I was a major leggings offender in college. Leggings, sweatshirts, Nikes, repeat. Everyday. But, I've managed to pull some pieces that really look great! My advice: go basic and have fun with the accessories. You can dress up the same outfit entirely different. The kids won't notice you wore the same exact outfit the past two Tuesdays! (Or maybe some will, but if they do, who cares!) I plan my outfits for the week Sunday night. I make sure all my laundry is done and I don't end up having to switch a load at midnight the night before.

Here's what you need: 

DO: 


1. Go for neutral slacks. I like the J.Crew cropped pants the best. They are the best fitting pants my body has ever felt. While they can be pretty pricey, I've snagged a few pairs on clearance and at J.Crew Factory. I have a pair of bright pink pants and orange pants, but I sometimes run into problems matching tops. Those pants don't get nearly enough love! 

2. Splurge on shoes! Invest in shoes! They can be your statement and fun piece and your saving grace! Nothing is worse than that arch ache after wearing heels and that new blister forming when it's only 2nd period. That being said, I will be the first to say I loathe Danskos. They are hideous and horrendous and although my mother swears by them, it will never happen. If you search you will find your top 3 that you will end up rotating. Steve Madden has super comfy flats, my fave are the Cheetah print. I love shoes with a print or studs (talking Valentino looking studs, not motorcycle gang). If you must have some heel action, wedges are my choice, because there is less pressure on the ball of your foot. And as always, if they're too cute to pass up you can always count on Dr. Scholl's to help you out.

3. Accessorize! Francesca's has such a great variety of jewelry and scarves.  More often than not they have a BOGO 50% off on jewelry and for my college ladies - use that student I.D! The discount is always appreciated. You can usually find some Kate Spade at Nordstrom Rack too! Etsy along with local stores are great for custom handmade jewelry. And, you get the satisfaction of buying something handmade! Someone put their time and talent into it! Not a machine! #MadeInAmerica! 

4. Be prepared:The heat in my school sometimes works, sometimes doesn't work, sometimes is full blast in the summer. You never know. But I do know I hate to be cold! I always keep a light weight sweater or jacket on me. I have two light weight sweaters, one beige and one navy blue that I found at T.J. Maxx. #Maxxinista Also, always keep spare shoes in your car. You will definitely go for it with that one pair you know will cut you and tear you down, but they're so freakin cute you do it anyway. R.I.P. to the pink espadrille wedges on sale from Marshall's. So killer. In both ways. 

Dont's:

1. Do not dress like you are going to sleep. 

2. Do not dress like you are going to the beach. Actually, do dress like you are going to tea with your grandma and her gals. That might be better.

3. Don't feel the need to go crazy bananas on your wardrobe. It will build over time. It is not a fashion show. Teachers don't teach to flaunt their Louboutins and Louies during assemblies. 

4. Don't lose site of yourself. If you're preppy, boho, simple, classic, edgy, by all means stay that way and Tim Gunn MAKE IT WORK!



Now, do it to it! Go on and do it! 



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images